Thursday, January 20, 2011

Training

The five S's of sports training are: stamina, speed, strength, skill and spirit; but the greatest of these is spirit. ~ Ken Doherty

Training is the process of brining a person to an agreed standard of proficiency, by practice and instruction. With the Fargo marathon a mere 119 days away (17 weeks from now) most who are planning on running the full marathon are actively into your training cycle. If you are running the half marathon, you are more than likely just starting your training now. If you are planning on running these races and have not yet begun to train, it is important to remember that training for a distance event takes a good amount of time to do so safely and without injury. There are a number of really good training plans that you can find for free or at a very low cost on the internet. Most of them will do their job in preparing you for the big day.

I get asked quite frequently what training plan(s) I use when I do my marathon training. I am hesitant (though I will later on in the post) to answer this question because quite simply, every one of us is different. What works for me, may not in fact work for someone else. This is the problem I have with cookie cutter training plans. These plans are developed for a general audience and not type specific to you or your running needs. So when picking out your training plan what should you look for? The first thing I would look at is the beginning mileage. Is the plan starting you off with low enough mileage to prevent injury or does the plan have you starting off at a nice 25 miles per week when you haven't run more than 5 in the past 6 months? This is dangerous and could lead to significant injury. Have you bounced this training plan off of someone else? Get their opinion on it. Can you actually stick to the training plan? Most training plans can and should be modified to meet your needs. Pick a plan that you know you can accomplish.

I personally use Hal Higdon's training plans for my training. When I began training for my first marathon (Fargo 2009) I used Hal Higdon's Novice II plan and have since moved up to using his Advanced I this past summer. I plan on using his Advanced II training plan this summer in preparation for next year. Right now I am in the middle of my racing season so I am not "training" per say. I am in what I like to call maintenance mode now. During this period of time I create my own weekly plans doing type specific training in between races while ensuring that I get enough rest. I have added a significant amount of cross training to my schedule to mix it up a little and strengthen certain parts of my body that will aide in my races and recovery. Quality over quantity wins every time!

Happy Running!



1 comment:

  1. Excellent Jim!!! Very inspirational... which I appreciate as I am trying to muster up that energy to begin my training for my 2nd half, in what appears to be in 17 weeks! :) Keep up the AMAZING work and we'll see you on the streets of Cass. ~TK

    ReplyDelete