Sunday, December 26, 2010

Opportunities

If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run. ~ John Bingham

Runners think differently than non-runners. I recently read a great blog post from a fellow runner friend of mine who explains better than I ever could the thought processes of a runner. I got a good laugh out of it and while I was reading it I kept thinking to myself how very right she is. You can read her blog and her most recent post HERE.
Her post was humorous, however it was also very accurate. Everyone who is a runner who reads her post will smile or laugh and when your done reading it you think to yourself, I am the exact same way. Most non-runners do not understand the fascination we runners have with running. It is something that starts off in the runners mind and then slowly over the course of time moves down to your heart and that is when you realize that you are a runner.
Over the last 2 1/2 years I have had a few occasions when I felt I really was a runner. This past week was no exception. I don't recall the day, I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon. It was snowing out pretty good and I went out for a run. I believe I ran 6 or 7 miles and at times the snow was coming down so hard I couldn't see 100 feet in front of me. Crazy? Maybe, but that was not how I saw it. I saw it as an opportunity! Runners do not see obstacles in the way. Running in the snow, the wind, the rain, the cold or the heat are all just new opportunities to experience something different.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment