Friday, March 4, 2011

Race and Rest

Everybody and their mother knows you don't train hard on Friday, the day before a race. But a lot of runners will overtrain on Thursday if left on their own. Thursday is the most dangerous day of the week. ~ Marty Stern

In less than 24 hours I will be running the Snickers Energy Bar Marathon in Albany, Georgia. This is a race that I signed up for last year, but ended up not running due to my legs just being exhausted from running in New Orleans the weekend prior. Needless to say I am extremely excited to finally be running this race for many reasons!!! First and foremost I like the name of the race...I know that is a crazy reason to like a race but I just find it unique. Second, this is a race course that should present a few challenges. A few moderate hills will be fun to tackle after running a 3:25 on a super flat race course two weeks ago in New Orleans. I am curious if I can hold onto my current time or if it will drop back a few minutes. And finally the third reason I am happy to be running this race is that I can get off of this race and rest schedule. Snickers will be my third marathon in the last 33 days and for the most part all I have done is run the race, run a few recovery miles and then rest to prepare for the next race. Normally, I will take the two days prior to a big race off and not do anything. This week I stopped running on Monday. Haven't done a thing all week except eat and work! I am hopeful that these extra rest days don't backfire on me. For all of you that are currently in training right now, your rest days are just as important as your running days. You must give your body time to recover and repair.

The weather looks decent over there for tomorrow...Mid 50's at the start with a little wind, some possible rain showers are likely but nothing too severe. I am not a fan of running in the wind but there are some things that you just can't control.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment