Thursday, March 10, 2011

Breakfast Cereals

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am cereal lover! I absolutely am a breakfast cereal addict. I don't feel bad about it either! So yesterday while I was doing some reading over my lunch hour I came across an article talking about the best and the worst cereals you can eat. Intrigued, I decided to take a look at the best and worst cereals. Some of these cereals did not surprise me where they were on the list, there were a few however that did surprise me....Lets take a look....this is the list from best to worst.

24. Fiber One Original - 60 Calories, 14 grams of fiber and 0 grams of sugar. (I just bought a box tonight...will see just how "good" this cereal really is.)

23. Organic Smart Bran - 90 Calories, 13 grams of fiber and 6 grams of sugar. 52% of your daily fiber needs right in one bowl. WOW!!!!

22. Shredded Wheat Original - 170 Calories, 6 grams of fiber and 0 grams of sugar.

21. Kashi GoLean - 80 Calories, 6 grams of fiber and 3 grams of sugar.

20. Grape-Nuts - 103 Calories, 4 grams of fiber and 2 grams of sugar.

19. Cheerios - 107 Calories, 3 grams of fiber and 1 gram of sugar.

18. Kix - 110 Calories, 3 grams of fiber and 3 grams of sugar.

17. Kashi Autumn Wheat - 105 Calories, 3 grams of fiber and 4 grams of sugar.

16. Wheaties - 111 Calories, 3 grams of fiber and 4 grams of sugar.

15. Kashi Honey Almond Flax - 113 Calories, 5 grams of fiber and 7 grams of sugar. (I was hooked on this stuff for a bit, not anymore though)

14. Corn Flakes - 107 Calories, 1 gram of fiber and 2 grams of sugar. This is the first cereal that kind of surprised me. Turns out the second ingredient is sugar and there is practically no fiber at all.

13. Life - 112.5 Calories, 2 grams of fiber and 6 grams of sugar. Another little surprise here.

12. Raison Bran - 96 Calories, 3.5 grams of fiber and 10 grams of sugar.

11. Maple and Brown Sugar Frosted Mini Wheats - 109 Calories, 3 grams of fiber and 7.5 grams of sugar.

10. Rice Krispies - 118 Calories, ZERO grams of fiber and 4 grams of sugar.

9. Kellogg's Smart Start - 114 Calories, 2 grams of fiber and 8 grams of sugar. Maybe NOT the best way to start your day.

8. Quaker Natural Granola with Oats, Honey and Raisons - 123.5 Calories, 2 grams of fiber and 9 grams of sugar.

7. EnviroKidz Oranic Koala Crisp - 110 Calories, 2 grams of fiber and 11 grams of sugar. I have never even heard of this one before..kinda glad I haven't...did you see how much sugar is in one serving. Yikes!

6. Reduced Sugar Frosted Flakes - 116 Calories, Less than 1 gram of fiber and 8 grams of sugar.

5. Trix - 112 Calories, Less than 1 gram of fiber and 11 grams of sugar. Turns out Trix really shouldn't be for kids at all!

4. Froot Loops - 113 Calories, Where is the FIBER!!!! and 12 grams of sugar.

3. Lucky Charms - 122 Calories, 1 gram of fiber and 12 grams of sugar. Not so lucky if this is what you have to eat!

2. Honey Smacks - 111 Calories, 1 gram of fiber and ready for this...17 grams of sugar. This cereal is essentially a bowlful of pure sugar.

And the winner of the absolute worst cereal is.................

1. Golden Crisp - 122 Calories, No Fiber and 15.5 grams of sugar. Oh, sugar happens to be the very first ingredient listed!!!

So the cereal that I partake the most of was NOT on this list....I didn't know if this was a good thing or a bad thing. So when I got home I took a look.

My current favorite cereal is Honey Bunches of Oats with Peaches...LOVE IT!!!! Anyways, this cereal has 120 Calories, 2 grams of fiber and 7 grams of sugar. Uh oh, not really so good. Looking back at the list if this cereal was included it would probably be ranked between Life and Raison Bran :( Sugar happens to be the 3rd ingredient listed too....

Anyways...that is pretty much all I have for now...until next time.

Happy Running!


1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, most cereals are 3/4 C. or 1 C. servings ...just not enough to fill me up! I'm addicted to peanut butter! Love it, on everything!

    ReplyDelete